California Intrastate Authority Filing Services

  • product icon
    California Intrastate Authority Filing
  • Price: $450*
  • In the state of California any person paid to transport goods are required to have a CA# and Motor Carrier Permit to operate a motor vehicle
  • Guarantees you’re compliant regardless of your service area
  • Dedicated compliance agent throughout the whole process
  • File Now

*Costs may vary depending on the amount of vehicles need CA Authority.


California Intrastate Authority Filing Services Overview

Are you considering starting a trucking company in the sunny State of California?  Any person paid to transport goods in the State of California is required to have a CA Number and Motor Carrier Permit to operate a motor vehicle.

In-state CA carriers were not required to have a USDOT number until 2016. Many out-of-state carriers must have the following three articles. Otherwise, they cannot enter the state of California:

  1. Motor Carrier Permit (MCP)
  2. CA  number
  3. A USDOT number



What is a Motor Carrier Permit (MCP?)

A Motor Carrier Permit is a document issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles(DMV) Motor Carrier Services Branch. The permit is issued to the carrier as evidence of registration with the DMV of their Carrier Identification number (CA#), as required by CVC Section 34620. The permit verifies the carrier has met all of the requirements to  operate commercial motor vehicles on California’s roads. The permit contains information specific to the carrier like name, mailing address, CA number, and effective/expiration dates of the permit.


Who Needs an MCP?

  • Any person or business entity that is paid to transport property in their motor vehicle regardless of vehicle size or weight. Those who transport property for pay are deemed a ‘For-Hire’ motor carrier.
  • Any person or business entity operating a vehicle with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 10,001 pounds or more, either for business or personal use. Persons operating such vehicles are deemed a ‘Private’ motor carrier.


Who Does NOT Need an MCP?

  • Vehicles used only for personal use and are 10,000 pounds GVWR or less.
  • Vehicles which are exempt from vehicle registration fees.
  • Utility trailers, camp trailers, or trailer coaches.
  • Two-axle daily rental trucks with a GVWR of less than 26,001 pounds when operated in non-commercial use.
  • Vehicles operated by household goods and/or passenger carriers as defined in Section 5109 of the Public Utilities Code (those vehicles operate under Public Utilities Commission authority)
  • Vehicles operated by household goods carriers to transport used office, store, and institutional furniture and fixtures when operated under a household goods carrier permit issued pursuant to Section 5137 of the PUC.
  • Pickup trucks with a GVWR of less than 11,500 pounds, an unladen weight of less 8,001 pounds, and equipped with a box-type bed not exceeding 9 feet in length, when operated in a non-commercial manner.
  • Vehicles providing transportation of passengers only, a passenger stage corporation transporting baggage and express upon a passenger vehicles incidental to the transportation of passengers.


What is a Carrier Identification number (CA#)?

The Carrier Identification number (CA#) (Also known as a California DOT Number) is issued exclusively by the California Highway Patrol as part of their Biennial Inspection of Terminals (BIT) Program and is used as the Motor Carrier Permit number. Not all motor carriers who require a motor carrier permit need to participate in the BIT Program.


Trust Federal Carrier With Your California Operating Authority

In order to save yourself the time and effort, Federal Carrier will file on your behalf. Our experts are familiar with California Operating Authority. Our team eliminates the possibility of any mistakes during the filing process. We take care of every detail so you can focus on taking care of business.


Get Help With Your California Operating Authority Today!

Federal Carrier won’t ONLY register your required compliance requirements, but we’ll also stay by your side throughout the entire process. Start getting compliant today!

CA and MCP
Disclaimer: is a private, third-party provider offering services for a fee. FCCR registers regulations on behalf of motor carriers. FCCR filing services for a fee, which is different from and in addition to the official Unified Carrier Registration state fees promulgated by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.